Field Equipment Check-out
Rentals are provided at no charge by the GPS Division. Please contact me if you would like to rent the equipment for research or class use.
The GIS Lab has several older laptops that are available to take in the field. However, if you have a personal laptop and would like to request a temporary license for field work please contact me.
Software Included on All Laptops:
- Windows XP OS
- Mapsource (Comes with USB/Serial interface cord for connecting to GPS Units)
- NOTE: Maps must be downloaded prior to trip. Mapsource data CD's do not leave the lab.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
Please do NOT:
- Install ANY software
- Use instant messaging
- Share files/folders
- Download email to the hard drive
- Click on hyperlinks in emails from unknown sources
- Disable the Windows Firewall or Norton Anti-Virus
- Change/Disable ZoneAlarm Firewall settings.
- Change any Windows networking settings.
Laptop Check-out Guidelines:
- All laptops must be carry-on luggage when you are traveling.
- Laptop batteries (including spare) may not be fully charged upon check out.
- Place all data on the D:\ drive in a folder with your name.
- Please backup all of your data before returning the equipment. User data will be deleted upon return of any laptop or GPS unit.
- Please use care when taking these to the field. Normal wear and tear is expected.
- Please report any problems upon return.
- Be sure to set Units and Coordinates systems to what you want and avoid changing them midway through taking waypoints.
- Mapsource maps must be downloaded prior to trip. Mapsource data CD's do not leave the lab.
- Users are responsible for downloading waypoints before returning them to the lab.
- Data on units are deleted upon return.